April 10-13 Registration Fair at Wicomico Youth & Civic Center for 2017-2018 Kindergarten Registration and Prekindergarten Application; Registration Forms Available Starting April 5
The annual Kindergarten and Prekindergarten Registration Fair for Wicomico County Public Schools will take place April 10-13 at the Wicomico Youth & Civic Center in Salisbury. Parents and guardians are encouraged to register children for the 2017-2018 school year as early as possible, so that families and schools can begin to plan and prepare.
The Registration Fair schedule is as follows, from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. each day:
Monday, April 10: Fruitland Primary, Charles H. Chipman Elementary
Tuesday, April 11: Beaver Run Elementary, Pemberton Elementary
Wednesday, April 12: Delmar Elementary, Westside Primary, Northwestern Elementary
Thursday, April 13, Willards Elementary, Prince Street Elementary, Pinehurst Elementary
To help ensure that all children have the required immunizations for school attendance, the Wicomico County Health Department will offer a free mass walk-in immunization clinic at the Health Department’s Fritz Building, 300 West Carroll St., during the Registration Fair, on both April 11 and April 13. Hours for the walk-in clinic will be April 11, from 8 a.m.-noon, and April 13, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The walk-in clinic is only for students entering prekindergarten, kindergarten and public 1st grade. Parents must bring a current copy of their child’s vaccine record with them. Vaccines will be offered at no cost. Please call 410-543-6943 for more information.
The 2017-2018 registration forms will be available online and in school offices by the end of the day Wednesday, April 5 for families to fill out prior to the April 10-13 Registration Fair for Kindergarten and Prekindergarten. Registration documents will be posted at www.wcboe.org; please click on the Enrollment Quick Link. Families may bring the forms along with the required supporting documents to the Registration Fair at the Civic Center.
The Registration Fair will also serve families who need to register a student not in public kindergarten now who will be enrolling in the 1st grade for the 2017-2018 school year. (Students currently enrolled in prekindergarten-3, prekindergarten-4, or kindergarten in Wicomico County Public Schools do not need to register at the fair.)
For enrollment questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-677-4479.
To register or apply, parents/guardians will need to bring in the following documents:
- a child’s birth certificate or registration of birth
- driver’s license or picture ID of parent or legal guardian
- child’s immunization record and current physical
- child’s Social Security card
- two forms of proof-of-residency documentation, in the name of the parent(s) or legal guardian(s).
- For homeowners: Mortgage/property tax bill and one of the following: Current utility (gas, water or electric) bill with service address.
- For those living at a rental property: Current signed lease plus one of the following: Current utility (gas, water or electric) bill with service address.
- For those living with someone else whose name is on the home and utility bills: Bring that person and the two forms of proof of residency listed above, and driver’s license or picture ID for both of you.
- child’s IEP/IFSP (if applicable)
- court custody papers
- income verification (for Prekindergarten only): 2016 Maryland tax return (if available) AND either four most current consecutive pay stubs, or State of Maryland Benefit Eligibility Letter (if applicable)
The Registration Fair is the first chance for families to register children for Kindergarten and apply for Prekindergarten for the 2017-2018 school year. Following the Registration Fair, registration for Kindergarten and application for Prekindergarten will take place at schools starting April 18. Please contact the school for additional information.
Children registering for Kindergarten must turn 5 by Sept. 1, 2017. Kindergarten is mandatory for all Maryland children who are 5 by this date unless the parents or guardians have completed a Kindergarten-Level of Maturity Waiver Form seeking later admission. For information please contact Sandra Drummond, Early Childhood supervisor, at 410-677-4523 or email@example.com.
Prekindergarten is not mandatory, and is offered to qualified children who will be 4 by Sept. 1, 2017. Prekindergarten is a half-day program throughout Wicomico County except for the Judy Center catchment areas of Beaver Run, Pemberton, and Charles H. Chipman Elementary (including the West Salisbury attendance area). At Beaver Run and Pemberton, qualified children who are 3- and 4-year-olds attend the full school day. Students in the 3-year old program must turn 3 on or before September 1, 2017. Qualified 4-year olds in the Charles H. Chipman Elementary attendance area (including those in the West Salisbury attendance area) also attend for the full day.
Priority Prekindergarten admission will be given to Wicomico County children and Delmar, Del. children meeting any of these criteria:
- come from low-income, at-risk, or homeless situations
- have prior participation in Head Start
- experience challenges like emergency or health problems, limited English proficiency, or other home or family circumstances
- recommended for the program by government or court referral
Parents or guardians whose child does not meet these criteria can put the child’s name on a Prekindergarten waiting list, which will be used to fill any remaining slots. Documentation must be submitted prior to a child’s acceptance into the program. Families will be notified in late summer if space is available.
Parents and guardians whose children do not meet the criteria for priority admission may apply at the Registration Fair for children to enter Prekindergarten. If this application is made prior to the designated Registration Fair day for the child’s school, the application will be time-stamped for the end of the scheduled registration day for their school.